Patrick Murphy is of counsel to the Firm and has practiced for many years in both the public and private sectors. From 1972-1979, Mr. Murphy served as an Assistant Attorney General in the Civil Division of the Arizona Attorney General’s Office representing state agencies that included the Department of Health Services (environmental enforcement), State Treasurer, Racing Commission, Superintendent of Banks, and the Accountancy Board.
From 1979-1991, Mr. Murphy served as Chief Counsel of the Financial Fraud Division of the Arizona Attorney General’s Office where he was responsible for supervising more than twenty lawyers, and support staff, involved in the enforcement of Arizona’s Consumer Fraud and Racketeering laws and the representation of the Banking, Insurance, and Real Estate Departments as well as the Securities Division of the Arizona Corporation Commission.
While serving as Chief Counsel of the Financial Fraud Division, Mr. Murphy was chosen to represent the State of Arizona in its civil action against then Governor Evan Mecham to recover funds belonging to the state. The successful outcome of this case is reported at State of Arizona v. Mecham, 173 Ariz. 474, 844 P.2d 641 (Ariz. App. 1992).
In 1991, Mr. Murphy joined Mr. Guttilla, long-time friends, and together they formed “Guttilla & Murphy, P.C.” Since that time Mr. Murphy has represented court-appointed receivers in state and federal receiverships brought by: the Securities Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, the Arizona Department of Financial Institutions, the Arizona Attorney General, the Securities Division of the Arizona Corporation Commission and the Insurance Department of Arizona.
Additionally, Mr. Murphy has represented business clients in commercial litigation and he has represented numerous homeowner associations in the Phoenix metro area.
- Admitted to the Arizona Bar Association in 1972
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona (1972)
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (1972)
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia (1972)
- United States Supreme Court (1980)
- 1968—Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration, University of Arizona (Tucson, Arizona)
- 1972—Juris Doctorate, Arizona State University (Tempe, Arizona)
State Bar Committees
- Served as a member of the Administrative Appeals Rules Subcommittee for one year
- Served as a member of the Arizona Bar Committee on Professional Responsibility for two years
- Served as a member of the Arizona Bar Appellate Handbook Committee for twelve years
- Served as a member of the Arizona Bar Administrative Committee for fifteen years
Law Related Activities
- Contributing author to “Arizona Appellate Handbook,” 1982-1989
- Member of the International Association of Insurance Receivers
- Member of the International Association of INSOL International
- Distinguished Public Lawyer for Maricopa County, 1990
- Kappa Sigma, Gamma-Rho Man of the Year, 1990
- Distinguished Citizen Award, University of Arizona, 2001
- Board of Directors, University of Arizona, Alumni Association, 2001-2007
- Board of Directors and President, Gamma Rho Housing Corporation, 1988-2020
- Board of Directors, Westminster Village, 2019-present
- Vice-President, Kappa Sigma International Housing Corporation, 1995-1998
- Board of Directors, Kappa Sigma Educational Foundation of Arizona, 1990-present
- Coach, Little League Baseball, Paradise Valley, Arizona, 1979-1986